Skip to main content

The Big Garden Bird Watch (and a free recipe for lard balls)


So "The Big Garden Bird Wach"
is coming up (From the 26th to the  28th of Jan in fact!). My Mum and I are really looking forward to it, and have been counting down the days. 
We decided to make some 'peanut meal worm and lard balls' to pass the time as we, *cough*, I  was getting rather inpatient...
So I thought I would share my recipe with you. (coz you know, I might as well!)
This recipe makes 4 balls.
Ingredients:
  • 1/4 lb lard
  • 2 cups mealworms 
  • 2 cups peanuts (for birds)
  • 1 chopped apple
4 discarded netting bags (from oranges, lemons etc)


Method:
Put the lard, mealworms, peanuts, and apple in a bowl, and smush together with a spoon. 
Once everything is combined thoroughly, empty out the bowl onto a large plate and form into 4 equal balls. 
Put the balls in the netting and put an elastic band around the top. Tie a not in the remanding netting (so that the birds don't get caught in it), and BOOM  you just made yourself 4 lard balls for the birds!! (just in time for the Big Garden Bird Wach too)...

If you want to get involved with The Big Garden Bird Wach, it's not too late! Head over to this website ww.RSPB.com   enter the number of birds you have seen. (PS I would read this page of useful stuff before you start www.everything-you-need-to-know-about-big-garden-bird-wach.com)
Ideally, Bird food should be put out all winter and at least a week before you bird count, to encourage the birds in, but just go for it anyhoo! 
Well, that's it for today folks!
I hope the Lardball recipe goes well and gets lots of birds in your garden!
Love Gaia Cacti xxx  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our permaculture allotment

Our allotment Hello peeps! Today's blog post is about our allotment wich my mum Melissa, our dog Fudge, and I enjoy visiting... As you can see we have a wood burner which we use to keep warm in the winter. Sometimes we even cook potatoes in there, wrapped in tinfoil.   ↜ Over there: we like to take cold drinks to the allotment (in summer) which we drink with our reusable rainbow metal straws! My fave drink of the mo is Karma Cola's 'Lemony Lemonade'. Why not check out their cool ethical website hear:  Karma Cola   Permaculture keyhole bed  Our next allotmenteering adventure is to make a Permaculture keyhole bed. We plan to grow strawberries in the side and veg in the top!    Why not check out this awesome video here:  permaculture video ?   Mist at the allotment. Well, this is the end of this blog post.  Hopefully, we won't get any giant slugs eating our veg. Again.  lov...

A welcome to my new blog.

Me holding our homegrown sunflowers. Hello peeps and welcome to my new blog!  My name is Gaia and I am 13 years old. I am home educated (or world schooled as we like to call it) by my mum Melissa. Here are some things about me; things I love are my large collection of houseplants, pokemon card and Nintendo games, skateboarding, making clay dragons, pomelos (a large grapefruit-like fruit), and taking the family dog Fudge for walks. One of my newly discovered planets.  I am currently pondering worlds within worlds. The picture above is one I took of the stem of a feather viewed down a microscope.      I  am thinking:  "what creatures live in this microscopic world?" "where in the universe does this planet live?" "Could every grain of sand hold another planetary system?" All are worth sitting down with a cup of cocoa and a biscuit to think. Anyway, that's i...

Will it snow again this year in Cornwall?

Today I have been pondering whether it will snow again here in Cornwall UK, like it did last March... So I thought I would share with you some photos of when 'The Beast From The East' came to Cornwall.... View to our garden by the sea. Fudge eating snow. I remember when it first started to snow I couldn't believe it, as it has only snowed three times before in the more than eight years that I have lived in Cornwall!  But last years was the biggest lot of snow by far!   No snow today but lots of wind. Back tomorrow with our results of our RSPB Big Garden Bird Wach. Over and out x